Remaining true to his traditional roots, Mitch Barrett has created a contemporary understanding that reaches beyond his Appalachian heritage to the music that today is called Americana.
Mitch is a versatile and riveting storyteller of Appalachian tales. Ears perk up and eyes widen when he begins his eclectic mix of myth, tall tales and folklore. Comfortable with any audience, Mitch tells stories to audiences young and old. His storytelling resonates with humor and poignancy.
At any given performance, his show is filled with Jack tales, tunes on the dulcimer and guitar, and great reflections on his life and the traditions of his mountain home.
Mitch Barrett is Kentucky’s most awarded singer, songwriter and storyteller. His songwriting talent has won many of the most prestigious awards in the country.
- Winner, 2009 Telluride Bluegrass Festival Troubadour Contest, Colo.
- Winner, Rocky Mountain Festival Songwriting Contest, Colo.
- Winner, two-time Merlefest Chris Austin Songwriting Contest, N.C.
- Winner, Kerrville Folk Festival New Folk Songwriting Competition, Texas
- Finalist, two-time Public Domain Foundation Music To Life Songwriting Competition, Texas
- Finalist, Mid-Atlantic Songwriting Competition, N.J.
Minimal Technical Requirements
Minimum stage size: 20 feet x 10 feet
Lighting: general wash
Sound: house system
Other: one armless chair, one stool